Arteriosclerosis is thickening of the walls of the arteries. It usually affects the older people.
Arteriosclerosis is usually preceded by atherosclerosis, which is a kind of fatty infiltration in the inner lining of the blood vessel walls. The most prone places are coronary vessels of the heart and the arteries of the brain. Arteriosclerosis results in loss of elasticity of the blood vessels and narrowing of the arteries. This blocks or interferes with the free circulation of the blood.
Symptoms of Arteriosclerosis
- Inadequate blood supply appears in the legs first.
- Numbness and coldness in the feet
- Cramps and pain in the legs even after light exercise.
In case of coronary arteries , the symptoms are:
- Sharp pain
If the brain is involved, the vessel may burst, which may cause haemorrhage in the brain tissues.
- If there is a blockage of arteries due to blood clot , then there may be a cerebral vascular stroke, with partial or complete paralysis on one side of the body.
- It may lead to loss of memory or a confused state of mind in elderly people.
If the arteries to the kidney is affected then, the person may suffer from kidney problems and high blood pressure.
Causes of Arteriosclerosis
The main cause of the disease is lack of physical exercise. Excessive intake of white sugar, refined foods and a high fat diet rich in cholesterol are also causes of arteriosclerosis. The hardening of the arteries may also be caused by other diseases such as high blood pressure , obesity and diabetes. Emotional stress also plays an important role. Heart attacks are common when mental and emotional disturbances occurs , and in people who live sedentary lifestyle. Hereditary is a cause for this disease too.
It is very essential that the patient consults the doctor in this condition before adopting any home cure methods.