In Ayurveda, amenorrhoea is known as Nashtartava. Amennorhoea refers to the permanent or temporarily absence of menstrual periods or scanty discharge.
There are two types of amennorhoea.
- PRIMARY AMENORRHOEA – This is a condition in which the menstrual periods fail to begin at puberty.
- SECONDARY AMENNORHOEA – In this condition the menstrual periods begin at puberty but have become irregular or missing for at least three cycles or a time period more than six months.
CAUSES AND SYMPTOMS
There are many causes for amenorrhoea. Anemia and general ill health are the main causes. The other causes are birth defect in which the uterus and fallopian tubes do not develop normally, prolonged malaria or T.B. and hypothalamus disorder.
The symptoms of amenorrhoea are:-
- Lack of bleeding, too little or excessive bleeding.
- Painful menstruation, menstruation disorder or irregular menstrual pattern.
- Ovary damage.
AYURVEDIC MEDICINES AND PRESCRIPTIONS FOR AMENNORHOEA
The following ayurvedic preparations are prescribed in the case of dysmenorrhoea.
|15ml of kumaryasava and 200mg of shuddha tankana to be taken after meals two times in a day.|
|500mg each of voladi vati and raja pravartini should be taken with a decoction made of black sesame, lasora leaves and gur.
Nashtapushpantaka Rasa may also be taken in place of voladi vati.
OTHER NATURAL REMEDIES PRESCRIBED BY AYURVEDA FOR AMENNORHOEA
- A decoction should be made of telia geru, root of cotton tree, rose leaves, root of chaulai and gur. This should be given once daily for three days.
- Boil a tea spoon full of saffron in half a cup of water and reduce it to about a table spoon and this should be taken in a day by dividing it into three parts. This is a very useful home remedy for this condition.
- Fomentation with hot and wet towel or hot water bag should be done around the pelvis to get relief from the pain and menstrual cramps.
- Half a tea spoon full of cinnamon powder should be mixed in a glass of milk and taken every night. This helps in getting relief from the cramps.
- A cup of black beans should be boiled in 5cups of water and half a cup of this juice should be taken before meals. This regulates the menstrual cycle.
- Tea made of comfrey leaves and alfalfa is also a good remedy for amenorrhoea.
- Drinking tomato juice everyday improves the blood circulation and is most beneficial in this condition.
- Juice prepared from the fresh mango bark is also beneficial for heavy menstrual periods.
DIET AND OTHER REGIMEN AS PRECRIBED BY AYURVEDA FOR AMENNORHOEA
- The diet should be nutritious and plenty of milk, fresh fruits and vegetables should be taken.
- Hot and spicy food, alcohol and smoking should be avoided.
- One should be free from too much of mental and physical exertion.
Related to your query:
- Ayurveda Cure for Anaemia
- Arteriosclerosis: Meaning, Causes and Symptoms