In Ayurveda, Bronchitis is known as Shwasa Pranali Shoth. In bronchitis, the bronchial tubes which carry air to the lungs get inflamed. This disease is more prone to cold and damp climates. It is a serious variety of the Kasa Roga.
CAUSES AND SYMPTOMS AS PER AYURVEDA
Bronchitis is mainly caused due to certain germs. Ayurveda believes that bronchitis begins with the impairment of the digestive system. Bronchitis can be cured to normal if the digestive process is cured to normal.
There are many prominent symptoms of bronchitis:
- There is sever coughing and a feeling of pain around the chest especially during the winter mornings.
- The mucous membranes of the bronchi get inflamed and there is difficulty in expelling the phlegm.
- Wheezing or whistling sound may be heard while breathing.
- Continuous coughing may turn the face of patient blue. Shortness of breath, loss of appetite and rise in temperature may be noticed in acute stage of bronchitis.
- Patients with the disease of bronchitis are normally thin and emaciated.
MEDICINES AND PRESCRIPTIONS AS PER AYURVEDA
There are some well known ayurvedic preparations fro bronchitis which have been prescribed since ages and have shown favorable results.
|2 gm of Shringyadi Churna and 100 mg of each of Kaphaketu and Kaphachintamani to be taken three times daily.|
|2 gm of Sitopaladi Churna, 200 mg of Pravala Pisthi and 100 mg of Rasa Sindur to be taken with ghee three times in a day.|
|Talisadi Churna||One tea spoon of talisadi churna mixed with ginger juice and honey should be taken three times in a day.|
|Haridra Khand||One tea spoon of haridra khand should be taken with a cup of warm milk at night before going to bed.|
|Vasarishta||15 ml should be mixed with equal quantity of water and taken after meals twice daily.|
OTHER NATURAL REMEDIES AS PER AYURVEDA
There are certain simple natural remedies which are very effective for curing bronchitis.
- Haldi is the most common home remedy for bronchitis. A tea spoon of tumeric powder should be mixed in a glass of milk and taken two times daily. It is more effective if taken on an empty stomach.
- The juice of vasa is also very beneficial for bronchitis. It can be taken twice or thrice daily.
- Ginger juice and honey mixed in a cup of warm water can also be taken which helps in the easy expectoration of the phlegm.
- Equal quantity of dried ginger, black pepper and long pepper should be mixed with honey and one tea spoon of this mixture should be taken thrice daily.
- Tulsi is also a great herb for bronchitis. Water boiled with tulsi leaves bring relief to the sore throat. This water can also be used as a gargle.
- Khadiradi Vati should be sucked as lozenge four to five times in a day which helps in getting relief from the congested throat.
- A decoction made of tulsi, black pepper and ginger in equal quantities should be taken three times a day.
DIET AND OTHER REGIMEN
- Sour substance, pickles and curd should be strictly avoided. Also cold items like cold drinks, ice creams should be avoided. Fruits like banana and guavas are contra indicated in this condition.
- Foods which are easy to digest should be preferred. Generous amount of green leafy vegetables should be included in the diet.
- Alcohol and tobacco should be avoided.
- Exposure to cold wind and rain should be avoided. Also one should avoid excess humidity, dust and allergic pollens. Heavy physical exercises should not be done.
Related to your query:
- Ayurveda Cure for Bulbous Eruptions
- Causes and Symptoms of Bronchial Asthma