In Ayurveda, Cirrhosis of the Liver is known as Yakrit Vriddhi. Liver is the largest and one of the most important organs in the human body and any disease of the liver may lead to serious problems. Cirrhosis of the liver is a chronic, degenerative disease of the liver in which there is continuous destruction and scarring of the liver cells. As the cells of the liver get destroyed they are replaced by scar tissues.
CAUSES AND SYMPTOMS AS PER AYURVEDA
The most common cause of cirrhosis of the liver is excessive use of alcohol. It harms many organs in the body but it is most harmful to the liver. A faulty and unhealthy diet is also a reason for the cause of this disease. Hepatitis B, hepatitis C and hepatitis D, drugs, toxins and infections also lead to cirrhosis of the liver.
The color of the liver changes to yellow from red and it also contracts. The process of metabolism gets hampered and this results in the loss of appetite and weight. It may be followed by diarrhoea, flatulence and chronic gastritis and also pain in the region of the liver id experienced. The body tends to swell up. One may also feel difficult to cough and breathe which happens because of the increased size of the liver which puts pressure on the diaphragm.
MEDICINES AND PRESCRIPTIONS
There are some excellent ayurvedic remedies for cirrhosis of the liver.
- BHRINGRAJA – This is the best remedy for cirrhosis of the liver. The juice extracted from the stem, flowers, root and leaves is used for curing cirrhosis. One tea spoon full of the juice is mixed with honey and given in case of infantile cirrhosis.
- KATUKI – This is the drug of choice for cirrhosis of the liver for adults. The powdered form of the root of the herb is used. One tea spoon full of the powder of the root mixed with equal amount of honey should be taken three times in a day. The dose may be increased to double in case of constipation. A cup of warm water should be taken after the dose. Katuki stimulates the liver to produce more bile, reactivates the tissues and hence it starts functioning again.
- AAROGYAVARDHINI VATI – It is a compound of katuki and calx of copper and very useful in the treatment of cirrhosis. Two tablets of 250 mg should be taken with warm water three times in a day. The dose may be increased to even four tablets in a day depending upon the severity of the condition.
- TRIPHALA, TRIVARI, VASAKA and KAKAMACHI are a few other drugs which are recommended by ayurveda for the treatment of cirrhosis of the liver.
OTHER NATURAL REMEDIES PRESCRIBED BY AYURVEDA
Besides the above mentioned ayurvedic medicines, there are certain home remedies which are also helpful in improving the condition in the case of cirrhosis of the liver.
- Papaya seeds are helpful in curing this disease. The papaya seeds should be grounded and mixed with one tea spoon of lemon juice and taken twice daily. This is an excellent home remedy for cirrhosis of liver.
- Carrot juice and spinach juice are extremely useful for different condition of the liver. Hence, a mixture of carrot and spinach juice should be taken which increases the efficiency of the liver.
- The leaves of fig are also used as a beneficial remedy for cirrhosis of the liver. The leaves of fig are mashed with sugar and 200 ml of water should be taken two times in a day.
- Radish is also helpful in curing the cirrhosis of the liver. Radish in any form should be included in the diet. Also juice made of radish leaves and soft stem should be consumed on an empty stomach every morning.
- Taking lime juice with a pinch of rock salt is the simplest and the most efficient way to improve the functioning of the liver.
- Tomato juice with a pinch of rock salt is also a good remedy for this condition.
DIET AND OTHER REGIMEN
A diet is the most important part in the treatment of any disease related to the liver.
- All fatty, oily, fried and spicy substances and hard to digest foods should not be taken.
- Alcohol should be strictly banned and also tea, coffee and tobacco should be avoided.
- Cow’s milk or goat’s milk, sugarcane juice should be given. Butter milk should be preferred over curd. Garlic is also considered to be helpful for cirrhosis of the liver.
- If the abdomen is accumulated with fluids, the diet should be made salt free for the patient.
- The condition worsens if there is constipation and should be removed.
- Plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables should be included in the diet. Vegetables which taste bitter like bitter gourd, drumsticks should be taken.
- Heavy exercises should not be done and only slow walking is recommended.
Related to your query:
- Ayurvedic Cure for Colic Pain
- Ayurvedic Cure for Chicken Pox