In Ayurveda, constipation is known as Koshtabadhata. This is one of the most common disorders in today’s world. It is a condition in which a person can not eliminate feces in the normal way. It is a very common digestive problem. If untreated on time, constipation may lead to severe discomforts and swelling or heaviness in the stomach.
AYURVEDA CAUSES AND SYMPTOMS
The wrong diet and sedentary life style are the most common causes of constipation. The diet low in fiber causes constipation. The main symptom is that the patient wants to void the stools but is unable to do so. The stool may be sticky or hard and difficult to eliminate. The abdomen also feels heavy and later head aches and loss of appetite may happen. It also leads to flatulence and bloating.
AYURVEDA MEDICINES AND PRESCRIPTIONS
There are a few ayurvedic medicines prescribed for constipation.
- MADHUKA – Powder made of madhuka should be taken with gur and water.
- ARNI – The pulp of the roots of arni should be taken with ghee.
- AKASHBEL – Decoction made of akashbel should be taken.
- AVIPATTIKAR CHURNA – This is also a good remedy for constipation. Half to one tea spoon full of avipattikar churna can be taken.
- ABHYARISHTA – 20 ml should be mixed with equal quantity of water and taken two times daily.
- PANCHASAKAR CHURNA – One tea spoon of this should be taken with lukewarm water.
- TRIPHALA CHURNA – One table spoon should be taken with warm water at bed time.
Apart from the above mention ayurvedic medicines, there are many potent herbs which provide great relief in constipation.
|Ayurvedic Name||Common English Name||Action|
|Ashwagandha||Indian Ginseng||Ashwagandha acts as a mild laxative and helps in mild digestive problems.|
|Jeera||Cumin||Jeera is one of the most useful herbs for constipation. It helps in curing indigestion, diarrhea and flatulence. It treats the inflammatory condition of bowls and thus the pain while passing out constipated stools gets reduced.|
|Kumari||Indian Aloe||This is one of the best things for the stomach ailments. It acts as a laxative|
|Sunthi||Ginger||Ginger has been used since ages for all kinds of digestive problems like low appetite, indigestion, vomiting and constipation.|
|Vacha||Sweet flag||Vacha is a traditionally used remedy for the treatment of severe constipation.|
|Kushmanda||White Pumpkin||Kushmanda helps to remove constipation and improve bowel movements.|
|Shikakai||Acacia||Shikakai is a mild laxative that also helps in curing constipation.|
|Mahanimbu||Pomelo||Mahanimbu is a mild laxative and digestive. It helps in the passing out of wind and also cures the problems of colic and worms.|
OTHER NATURAL REMEDIES PRESCRIBED BY AYURVEDA
There are numerous home remedies for constipation. One can easily get rid of constipation without the need of taking medicines and only following these simple but very effective home remedies.
- Warm water should be taken in the morning which helps in the easy evacuation of the bowel and helps in chronic constipation.
- Chapattis should be made of three parts of wheat flour and one part of roasted black gram powder with their husk. This is a good remedy for constipation.
- Cabbage juice is good remedy for constipation. Half a cup of cabbage juice should be taken in the morning. Similarly, carrot juice is also a very good remedy for constipation. Carrot juice should be mixed with spinach juice which makes a very effective remedy for constipation.
- A glass full of milk with two tea spoons of castor oil should be taken at night. This helps in proper elimination of stools in the morning and proves to be a very good remedy for constipation.
- Dates or raisins should be boiled in a glass of milk and taken at night. This is one of the useful home remedies for this condition.
- Keeping drinking water over night in a copper vessel and drinking it empty stomach in the morning gives immediate relief from constipation.
- A good remedy for constipation is also drinking water with Epsom salt mixed in it.
- Drinking orange juice mixed with olive oil also relieves constipation.
- Taking guava on an empty stomach in the morning is very beneficial for constipation.
- Two tea spoons of almond oil taken with a glass of milk at night give relief from constipation making a simple remedy.
- Drinking hot water with lime juice and half a tea spoon of salt is also an effective treatment for constipation.
DIET AND OTHER REGIMEN
A proper diet is a very important part in the treatment of constipation.
- Spicy, fried and hard to digest to foods should not be taken. Light and easily digestible food should be taken.
- Lot of fresh fruits and green leafy vegetables like spinach, cabbage etc. should be included in the diet. Foods high in fiber content are highly recommended because these provide roughage for the bowel movement.
- One should drink as much water as possible as it is highly beneficial in cleaning the system.
- Long walks and light exercises are advised for proper digestion of the food.