In Ayurveda, Filariasis is known as Shlipada Jwara. It is also known as Filaria. It is caused by the bite of an infected mosquito which belongs to the Culex species. This is a chronic disease and is popularly known as ELEPHANTIASIS. It basically affects the legs. The legs get swelled and also very painful. The skin of the affected part becomes like that of an elephant, hence it is called as elephantiasis. The legs may become very big by swelling if it is left unchecked.
CAUSES AND SYMPTOMS
Fever along with pain and redness along the affected lymphatic vessels are the early symptoms. In some cases, the testicles also become inflamed and enlarged. This may develop in any part of the body like the arm but legs are the most commonly affected part. Filariasis fever is a short and sharp fever. It does not remain more than four days but attacks continuously.
According to ayurveda, this disease is caused due to the vitiation of all the three doshas, but kapha dosha being the main dosha.
MEDICINES AND PRESCRIPTIONS
There are different ayurvedic medicines for this disease. One is given for the fever and the other when the fever has subsided.
- MEDICINE WHEN FEVER IS ACCOMPANIED WITH FILARIASIS.
|100mg of each of these should be taken three times a day with warm water.|
- MEDICINE AFTER FEVER HAS SUBSIDED.
|500mg of pippali churna and 200mg of nityananda rasa|
|Shripadagajakeshari||One dose of 100mg should be given at night.|
Apart from the above mentioned ayurvedic medicines, Kanchnaar-Guggulu, Triphala-Guggulu, Punarnavadi-Guggulu, Arogya-Vardhini should be given which helps in reducing swelling and thick skin.
- A paste should be made of dhatur, castor tree root, punarnava, nirgundi and mustard seeds and applied on the affected part.
- Eating raw garlic cloves is helpful. Also juice made of ginger is very effective.
DIET AND OTHER REGIMEN
- Everything can be taken but food that is hard to digest should be avoided.
- The environment should be free from mosquitoes so that the patient does not get further attacks.