In Ayurveda, Goitre is known as Galaganda. The thyroid gland that is present in front of the neck when gets swollen is known as goitre. The primary cause or reason for the development of goitre is lack of iodine in the food. Iodine is present in the table salt that we consume daily. There are two types of goitre:-
1. SIMPLE GOITRE
2. EXOPHTHALMIC GOITRE – In this, the eye balls protrudes from their sockets.
CAUSES AND SYMPTOMS
The main causative factor for goitre is lack of iodine in food. The symptoms of goitre are as follows:-
- The throat gets swollen and there is pain in the throat.
- Breathing becomes difficult due to swelling in the glands and the throat.
- Liquids and foods cannot be swallowed properly.
Apart from these, if the growth becomes excessive it may cause serious discomfort and may cause pressure on wind pipe, food pipe and other neck parts.
According to ayurveda, goitre is caused due to the aggravation of the kapha and dimination of the paitta. If the goitre is not treated for long time, the following conditions may also arise.
- LARANGHITIS and TONSILLITIS
- VOCAL CHORDS may get infected and RESPIRATORY DISEASES.
MEDICINES AND PRESCRIPTIONS
There are two main ayurvedic medicines for the treatment of goitre.
1. KANCHANARA – The medicine is taken in the form of a decoction. The bark of the tree is used to make a decoction. One ounce of this decoction is to be given on an empty stomach two times in a day.
The medicine may also be taken in the form of a tablet. It is known as KANCHANARA GUGGULU. One tablet is to be taken twice or thrice daily. The dose may also be increased or decreased according to the condition. Generally, two tablets are given three times in a day. The tablets are to be given with warm water or milk.
2. AROGYAVARDHINI VATI – This is another good ayurvedic medicine used for the treatment of goitre. The dosage depends upon the severity of the condition.
3. AMRITADHAYA TAILA – This is given in the dose of about 10gms two times a day.
OTHER NATURAL REMEDIES PRESCRIBED BY AYURVEDA
Apart from the above mentioned ayurvedic medicines there are some effective home remedies that can be very helpful in the treatment of goitre.
Ø The vegetable Jalakumbhi is considered to be very beneficial in the case of goitre. A paste made from it and applied over the swelling of the neck helps in reducing the swelling. Also the juice made of jalakumbhi helps in increasing the amount of iodine which is the main cause of goitre.
Ø The foods which contain high amount of iodine should be included in the diet. Garlic, turnips, carrots are such foods.
Ø The juice of the leaves of swamp cabbage is also a good home remedy for primary goitre.
Ø The dandelion leaves can be used as a bandage over the swollen neck, it gives relief from the swelling and thus helps. Flex can also be used for the bandage. Its seeds are boiled and the water is used over the affected area. Flex leaves can also be used as a bandage.
Ø The thyroid gland should work properly and care must be taken. This can be achieved by doing regular exercises and by taking sufficient amounts of vitamin A and vitamin B complex. Bothe these are highly beneficial for the thyroid. Oats and bananas are also good for thyroid.
DIET AND OTHER REGIMEN
- A proper diet is very important in the case of the goitre. The most important thing that should be taken care of is that the food should be prepared using iodized salts only.
- Milk is a very important form of a diet for goitre. So milk should be taken in good quantity. Also food items like old rice, moong dal, barley, drumsticks, Bengal gram, cucumber and milk products should form an important part of the diet.
- Foods like onions, oats, egg yolks and citrus fruits help in reducing the swelling of the neck.
- Sour and heavy food substances should be avoided. Regular exercise of the neck is also recommended.