In Ayurveda, Heart Disease is known as Hridya Roga. Heart disease is a major health problem for many people. It is a very common disease affecting people across the world. It is characterized by pain in the chest. Such pain is generally caused due to over-exertion. The heart pain can be mild and sometimes very severe. It can be occasional and can be of static or of roaming type. There are many causes of chest pain. The primary cause though is obstruction of the coronary arteries.
CAUSES AND SYMPTOMS
There may be many causes for the heart diseases but the most common causes of the heart diseases are
- High blood pressure
- High serum cholesterol
The main symptoms seen due to the improper functioning of the heart are
- The patient feels generalized weakness
- There is breathlessness and fast respiration and pulse
- Swelling all over the body may be seen
- The appetite decreases
- Pain in the chest region and all over the body.
According to ayurveda, the various heart diseases occur when the vayu is vitiated and disturbs the rasa dhatu in the body. The vitiation of the vayu, pitta, kapha or all the three dohas taken together, heart diseases may be caused.
MEDICINES AND PRESCRIPTIONS
The ayurvedic medicines for the heart diseases are different for the different causative factors. Depending upon the type of the heart disease, ayurvedic medicines for the disease are prescribed.
- IN GENERAL CASES OF THE HEART DISEASES
|Parthadyarishta||20mg of parthadyarishta to be taken with rose water after meals two times daily.|
|125mg of Nagarjunabha, 1gm of Kukumbhadi Chura and 250mg of Prabhakar Vati to be taken two times daily.|
|Arogyavardhini,Hingugragandhadi Churna||500mg of Arogyavardhini and 2gm of Hingugragandhadi Churna to be taken with water before sleep.|
- IN HEART DISEASES CAUSED BY THE VITIATION OF THE PITTA
|Arjuna Ghrita||10gm of Arjuna Ghrita to be taken with mishri in the morning once.|
|Panchanana Rasa,Drakshadi Churna,|
|100mg each of Panchanana Rasa and Vyomashma Pshti and 2gm of Drakshadi Churna to be taken with water two times daily.|
- IN HEART DISEASES CAUSED BY THE VITIATION OF THE VAYU
|Pushkaramuladi Churna||1-2gm of Pushkaramuladi Churna to be taken twice after meals.|
|Visheshwara Rasa,Hritpatri Churna||100g each of Hritpatri Churna and Visheshwara Rasa to be take with mishri at night.|
|200mg of Shriga Bhasma, 50mg of Makaradhwaja and 100mg of Chintamani Rasa to be taken twice|
- IN HEART DISEASES CAUSED BY THE VITIATION OF THE KAPHA
|Krishnadya Churna,Arjuna Churna||1gm each of Krishnadya Churna andArjuna Churna to be taken with warm water after meals two times daily.|
|50mg each of Makaradhwaja and Arogyavardhini and 250mg of Prabhakar Vati to be taken with decoction of triphala once before sleep.|
|Shankar Vati,Pipplimula Churna,|
Cardamom Seeds powder
|100mg each of Shankar Vati and Hridyarnava Rasa and 00mg each of Pipplimula Churna and Cardamom Seeds powder to be taken two times daily.|
- IF THE HEART DISEASE IS DUE TO THE VITIATION OF ALL THE THREE DOSHAS
|100mg each of Yakuti and Digitalis Powder, 50mg of Chandrodaya to be taken two times daily.|
|Mukta Pishti,Pushkaramula Churna,|
|100mg each of Mukta Pishti and Ranakara Rasa and 500mg of Pushkaramula Churna to be taken with Arjua Ghrita in the morning and evening.|
Apart from the above mentioned ayurvedic medicines; there are certain home remedies which are very beneficial for the treatment of the heart disease.
- One should quit smoking because smoking increases the risk of heart attack.
- Regular exercise is very important for a healthy life. It improves the ody by reducing excessive fat from the body.
- Coffee should be avoided as it contains caffeine which may increase the blood pressure level.
- Garlic mixed in buttermilk should be taken twice daily. Garlic is very helpful in controlling blood pressure and hence takes care of the heart diseases.
- Fenugreek seeds dipped in water for overnight should be taken empty stomach in the morning. It helps in reducing the cholesterol and fats.
DIET AND OTHER REGIMEN
The first and most recommended thing is a proper dietary habit. A proper and healthy diet can help in keeping many health disorders away. A balanced diet will help to reduce weight, reduce high blood pressure and also the fatty cholesterol.
- A patient suffering from the heart disease should be given fat free foods which are easy to digest. He should also avoid salt as much as possible.
- Liquid diet consisting of vegetable and meat soups and fruit juices should be taken.
- Ground nut or ground nut oil should never be given to the patient.
- The patient should never strain his heart and should have a stress free life style. He should get sound sleep at night. He should also do breathing exercises and yoga regularly.
Related to your query:
- Ayurvedic Cure for Haematuria
- Ayurvedic Cure for Greying of Hair