CAUSES AND SYMPTOMS OF LOW BLOOD PRESSURE
The most important cause of low blood pressure is faulty nutrition. The tissues which form the walls of the blood vessels get over relaxed, and stretched. This results in less supply of oxygen and nutrients to the tissues. Injury leading to loss of blood, acute or chronic anemia, food poisoning may also lead to low blood pressure.
The patient with low blood pressure may feel lethargic, weakness, fatigue, and dizziness. These happen mainly due to a decrease in perfusion of blood to brain, heart, skeletal muscle and other organs.
According to ayurveda, low blood pressure is caused due to vitiation in vayu and can be treated by drugs which balance the vayu dosha in the body.
AYURVEDIC PRESCRIPTIONS FOR LOW BLOOD PRESSURE
There are no specific medicines for low blood pressure but certain potent herbs are considered to be very useful in the condition of low blood pressure. Some of the herbs are
- Rosemary leaves, Indian spikenard, kola, ginseng and gentian.
- Hinguvachadi churna, Haiswanaram chuna, ashwagandha churna and induppukanam churna are effective for the treatment of low blood pressure.
DIET AND OTHER REGIMEN
Treatment for low blood pressure should aim at improvement of the whole system .The patient should adopt a well balanced diet. The diet should be full of proteins and carbohydrates.
- Beetroot juice is considered an excellent diet for low blood pressure. This should be included in the daily diet.
- Dry fruits, cheese, flesh, soups of meat should be a part of the diet.
- Fruits like mangoes, apples, bananas, grapes and leguminous vegetables are very important.
- The patient should avoid vigorous exercise and excessive sex.