CAUSES AND SYMPTOMS
Rheumatic fever generally begins with a chill and is followed by fever. The patient feels stiffness or pain in one or more joints, usually of the ankles, knees, wrists and shoulders. As time passes by, the pain becomes more and more severe. The face of the patients gets flushed and his whole body perspires a lot. The pulse is rapid and strong and the temp. is usually 39.4degree Celsius. Loss of appetite, excessive thirst and constipation is also suffered by the patient. If the disease is not controlled, certain complications such as Inflammation of the outer membrane, the inner membrane, and the muscle of the heart may develop. The risk of complications related to heart is greater among patients of tender age since their joints are small and their swelling may sometimes be overlooked.
MEDICINES AND PRESCRIPTIONS
||240 mg each of Aamavatari Rasa,Saubhagya Vati and 120 mg of Hinguleshwar to be taken three times a day daily with warm water.|
||240 mg each of Hritpatri, Yavakshara and 120 mg each of Vishveshwara Rasa, Shringa Bhasma should be takem twice daily with honey.|
Apart from the above given medicines the following herbs can also be used for rheumatic fever which proves to be very beneficial.
- Ginger is very helpful in Arthritis and Rheumatism.
- Dandalion leaf increases output from the kidneys and its root is a mild laxative and liver tonic. Infusion of its leaves and decoction from its root can be made and used for about 7-days.
- Nettel is a great cleanser of blood and also very rich in minerals. It helps also in the repair and renewal of tissues. Both remedies can be combined to yield optimum favourable results.
- Meadowsweat is recommended to get relief from extreme pain. Nettle and Meadowsweat infusions can be used for the purpose.
Some home remedies are also very beneficial for the treatment of rheumatic fever.
- A hot compress of salt or sand put in a hag and heated over a hot plate, should be applied to the swollen joints.
- Leaves of amarhel or dhatura heated over a hot plate may also be applied to the affected joints as a poultice.
- With a grape sized piece of asafetida, a 3 inch piece of dried ginger is grinded in milk. Then this paste is applied on the affected area and exposed to the sun for imparting warmth and heat.
DIET AND OTHER REGIMEN
- Panchkol- shruta milk may be given thrice daily.
- Soft and warm foods should ne taken.
- Substances like bitter gourd which contains acrid components are recommended.
- Fried foods and sour items must be avoided.
- Patient should take complete bed rest.