In Ayurveda, fever is known as Jwara. An increase in the body temperature above the normal temperature is defined as fever. There are different varieties of fever and all the types of fever are taken in separate topics as mentioned below:-
- Typhoid fever
- Dengue fever
- Sand fly fever
- Rheumatic fever
- Heat exhaustion and heat stroke
- Bulbous eruptions
- Hectic fever
- Black water fever
- Kala azar
CAUSES AND SYMPTOMS
The symptoms of fever are general body and joints ache and soreness, high temperature, loss of appetite. There is also excess production of phlegm and saliva in some cases. The patient starts shivering, feels pain in the back, head ache and feels thirsty. There is also profuse sweating when the temperature begins to fall. Some causes for fever are:-
- General infection
- Insect bite or external injury.
- The temperature may rise in very hot weather.
According to ayurveda, fever is caused due to the variation in one of the doshas.
MEDICINES AND PRESCRIPTIONS
Different medicines are prescribed according to the type of fever.
- A general home remedy for normal fever is taking raisin and ginger. Both the raisin and ginger should be boiled in water and this water should be taken.
- Turmeric is used vastly in ayurvedic remedies. It should be mixed with warm milk and given.
- Tulsi is also a very well known home remedy which is usefull in all types of fevers. Fresh tulsi leaves can be chewed or a decoction can be prepared from tulsi leaves and given two or three times in a day.
- Juice of fresh neem leaves is also a very effective home remedy for fevers. It can be mixed with honey and given twice a day.
DIET AND OTHER REGIMEN
- A proper care should be taken of the diet. Hard and difficult to digest foods should not be given. Only foods which are light on stomach and which can be easily digested should be given.
- Fresh fruits and juices are good as they help in removing toxins from the body.
- Chilled foods like ice creams, sweets and flour associated foods should also be avoided.
- If the temperature is too high, cold sponging should be done.