In Ayurveda, Eczema is known as Vicharchika. This is a skin disease in which the upper layers of the skin which is known as epidermis gets inflamed. The condition becomes itchy and scratching results in red rashes. It is sometimes also known as dermatitis. In this condition the moisture content of the skin is insufficient and this makes the skin more prone to bacteria and viruses which further worsen the condition. Eczema is of two distinct types
AYURVEDIC CAUSES AND SYMPTOMS
The most obvious symptom of eczema is that the skin becomes red and swells and there is also itching. The skin gets cracked and scales appear on the skin. The skin becomes severely dry and crusting on the skin takes places.
According to ayurveda, eczema is caused due to the vitiation of all the three doshas i.e. the vata dosha, the pitta dosha and the kapha dosha. But the eczema caused due to the vitiation of the pitta dosha is the most common of all. When the balance between the pitta and the blood disturbs, it leads to this condition.
Types and symptoms of eczema caused due to various doshas
- Pitta dosha type: Eczema caused due to the vitiation of the Pitta dosha causes oozing from the affected part. Burning sensation in the affected part of the skin and fever are also seen.
- Vata dosha type: Eczema caused due to the vitiation of the vata dosha results in the dryness of the skin. There is pain and severe itching of the affected areas of the skin.
- Kapha dosha type: When eczema is caused due to the vitiation of the kapha dosha, the skin becomes thick and oozing and itching also accompanies.
AYURVEDIC MEDICINES AND PRESCRIPTIONS
The following ayurvedic medicines are suggested for this condition
|200mg of each of Chakramardabeja Churna and Paribhadra Rasa and 100mg of Udaya Bhaskara should be taken three times in a day.|
|Arogyavardhini Vati||250mg should be taken 3times in a day with hot water.|
|Mahatikta Ghrita||One tea spoon full of Mahatrikta Ghrita|
|Khadirarishta||20ml mixed with equal quantity of water should be taken after meals thrice daily.|
|Panchanimbadi Choorna||One tea spoon full to be taken after meals.|
|Kasaundi Root||It should be grounded and mixed with kanji and applied on the affected part.|
|Mahamarichyadi Taila||It should be applied on the affected part.|
Apart from the above mentioned ayurvedic medicines there are several herbs which are very beneficial in the treatment of eczema.
- Arka – Arka juice is mixed with turmeric and sesame oil and applied on the affected part.
- Butea – The seeds of the butea tree are very beneficial for eczema. They are mixed with lime water and applied externally.
- Mahua – A paste is made by grinding the Mahua leaves and it is applied as bandages on the skin. It gives great relief from itching.
- Babul – For the treatment of eczema, the bark of babul tree is boiled in water and the steam is used to foment the affected part of the skin.
- Neem – Neem is considered to be the best herb for skin disorders. It is one of the best blood purifiers and posses anti bacterial, anti fungal and anti viral properties. It can be used both internally and externally to treat eczema.
- Alsi – Alsi oil is mixed with lime juice and applied on the skin. This is also an effective treatment in eczema.
OTHER NATURAL AYURVEDIC SUPPLEMENTARY TREATEMENT
There are several home remedies which are very beneficial in the treatment of eczema.
- Only warm water should be used for bathing but the water should not be too hot. Olive oil can be added to the bath water. It is not advisable to take long and frequent baths.
- A mild soap like a baby soap or soaps which are non fragrant should be used. Detergents should not be used with hands.
- A good moisturizer should be applied after bath to keep the skin soft and supple. It also prevents cracks and scales from appearing on the skin.
- Scratching on the affected part of the skin should be avoided as it may lead to rashes and even worsen the condition. Hence soft towels should be used and the skin should be pat dried.
- Coconut oil is considered to be very good for eczema. It should be applied on the affected part.
- Tomato juice is very beneficial for treating eczema.
- Woolens and blankets must be strictly avoided. Sweating should be avoided. Synthetic and allergic materials should not be used on the skin.
DIET AND OTHER REGIMEN
Food being one of the major causes of eczema, it is very important to take care of the diet. All allergic foods should be completely avoided.
- Eggs, chocolate and sea foods are to be avoided. Cucumbers and radish must also not be used. Ice-creams and cold drinks must be strictly avoided. Nuts, especially cashew nuts are harmful for eczema. So these should also be avoided.
- Too much spicy and fried food should be avoided. Light and easily digestible food should be consumed. Salt must be reduced in the diet.
- Sour foods like pickles, curds, etc. must be avoided.
- Lots of fresh fruits and liquids in the form of juice should be included in the diet. Carrot and spinach juice is considered to be very beneficial for this condition. Also vegetables like bitter gourd, drumsticks and flowers of the neem tree are useful in this condition.