CAUSES AND SYMPTOMS
The causes for the development of obesity are many.
- It may be due to the disturbances of some of the endocrine glands such as the pituitary gland, the thyroid gland and the sex gland.
- It may be passed in some families as heredity.
- The most common reason of obesity is wrong diet and generally over eating. The inactive, luxurious and sedentary life style is also a factor of obesity.
- According to ayurveda, the impairment of Agni which is responsible for the breakup of fat molecules is the reason for obesity.
The prime symptoms for the development of obesity are:-
- Enlarged stomach, waist, thighs, and/or buttocks
- Saggy breasts (in women)
MEDICINES AND PRESCRIPTIONS
The basic purpose of ayurvedic medicines is to strengthen the Agni which is responsible for breaking up food molecules. The most famous drugs for obesity are:-
- GUGGULU – Fifteen grains of purified guggulu should be taken four times a day with hot water or any hot drink.
- Another useful drug is HARITAKI which not only clears the bowels but also helps in reducing the amount of fats in the body. It should be taken with hot water at night before sleeping.
The following preparations are also prescribed for obesity.
|Lauharishta||24 ml should be taken with lukewarm water after meals two times a day.
|Arogyavardhini||240mg to be taken three times daily with the decoction of Haritaki.
|1gm each of Trikatu Churna and Navaka Guggulu and 240mg of Triyushanadi Lauha to be taken with decoction of Triphala and little honey three times daily.
Triphala: This contains amalaki, bibbitaki, and haritaki. This should be taken at least once a day.
DIET AND OTHER REGIMEN
For obesity the most important thing is to reduce the intake of food and increase the expenditure of energy.
- Fresh fruits and vegetables, salads, juice and other liquid items should be increased in the diet and white bread and other processed foods should be decreased.
- Vegetable oil should be preferred for cooking on place of butter or margarine.
- The intake of fat and carbohydrates should be restricted.
- The patient should exercise regularly.
Related to your query:
- Paralysis: Meaning, Type, Causes & Symptoms
- Ayurvedic Cure for Nose Bleed