CAUSES AND SYMPTOMS
The common symptoms include a sore throat, cough, fever with aching muscles and headache. The fever is usually higher than in common cold and remains for up to three weeks or even longer. Cough is also severe and lasts longer and is also accompanied by sneezing, headaches and runny nose. Aches and pains are seen through out the body. Nausea, vomiting and diarrhea may also bee seen.
According to ayurveda, the balance of the three doshas – vata, pitta and kapha gets disturbed during the seasonal changes and this leads to the cause of flu.
MEDICINES AND PRESCRIPTIONS
Ayurvedic treatments are very helpful in influenza.
1. Tribhuvana Kriti Rasa is the most common medicine in ayurveda for flu. It is available in the market in powder and also tablet form. Two tablets of 75 mg each should be given to the patient with honey three to four times a day.
2. Anand Bhairav Rasa is another herb to treat influenza.
3. Eucalyptus oil is used to stop the symptoms of fever that is caused during influenza.
Apart from the above mentioned ayurvedic medcnes, there are many home remedies which are simple but very effective for the treatment of flu.
Ø Pippali also known as long pepper is one of the best choices for the treatment of flu. Ts powder form in half teaspoonful dose s taken with 2teaspoonfuls of honey and half teaspoonful of ginger and given to patient three times in a day.
Ø Tulsi is another beneficial herb for the treatment of flu. Tulsi leaves and dry gnger is boiled and the decoction is taken as tea. This is a very good remedy for flu and common cough and cold and can also be taken as a preventive.
Ø Haridra or turmeric is also good for flu. Pure turmeric powder is mixed with milk and taken two to three times daily. T is helpful in activating the liver and also prevents lungs complication.
Ø Garlic and ginger can also be taken as they both contain anti viral properties.
DIET AND OTHER REGIMEN
- The patient should not be given sold food for the first twenty four hours. Soups of vegetables and meat can be given and is helpful. Heavy foods should be avoided.
- Fruits like banana, guava and other sour fruits should be avoided.
- Tulsi leaves or banafsha flowers should be added to the tea.
- Exposure to cold winds, bath, exercise, sleeplessness, oil massage and mental strain should be avoided.
- A mild laxative may be given if the patient suffers from constipation.
Related to your query:
- Influenza: Types, Causes, Symptoms, Transmission & Prevention
- Natural Cure and Home Remedies for Influenza
- Ayurvedic Cure for Insomnia
- Ayurvedic Cure for Impotence