CAUSES AND SYMPTOMS
There may be many causes that a person is not able to sleep properly which results in insomnia. Insomnia mainly happens due to mental disturbances. A person generally gets deprived of proper sleep if he is not mentally peaceful. Anxiety and depression do not allow a person to take proper rest. This may be due to several reasons.
Any type of body pain, uncomfortable weather or surroundings, some disease are also a few reasons for insomnia. Overwork and extreme worries may also cause lack of sleep. People who have a history of improper digestion, constipation and habits of eating irregularly are more likely to suffer from insomnia.
According to ayurveda, the vitiation of the three doshas either taken all together or individually may be the reason for insomnia.
MEDICINES AND PRESCRIPTIONS
The best drugs for the treatment of insomnia are:-
The powders of these drugs are taken either single or in combination and given three times daily to the patient. The mixture of these powders mixed with sesame oil is also used for massaging the head. This relaxes the senses and helps in achieving a proper sleep.
Some other beneficial ayurvedic drugs for insomnia are as follows.
Pipplimula churna: Take 1.5gm before going to bed.
Swamamakhshik Bhasma: Take 1 gm of swamamakhshik bhasma with jaggery (gur) before going to bed.
Vatakulantaka: 125mg may be taken twice daily with honey.
Ashwagandha churna: 1gm to be taken two times daily.
Nidrodaya rasa: 125mg to be taken with honey.
Apart from the above given ayurvedic treatments, there are many home remedies which are useful for treating insomnia.
- Raw onion should be introduced in the daily diet. There are no side effects and brings sleep.
- Juice of celery leaves with one tsp of honey is an effective cure for insomnia. Celery has a calming effect on the nervous system. This is one of the best home remedies for insomnia and should be continued for at least 15 days.
- Chamomile tea with honey is also very useful remedy for insomnia. This should be taken before going to bed. This brings natural sleep and is very effective.
- Eating curd is also considered god to bring sleep.
- Taking warm milk with honey is another good home remedy for insomnia.
- Juice of fenugreek leaves taken with honey also helps in curing insomnia.
- Use rose water to rinse the eyes.
- At night pure Ghee made of cow’s milk should be used to massage the feet and soles. Massaging is a good remedy for insomnia.
- Fry cumin seeds and grind them and mix with banana pulp and eat at night. This helps in inducing sleep.
- The patient should have a complete and filling diet depending on his capacity. Milk of buffalo and its buttermilk is good for this condition.
Related to your query:
- 15 Best Diet for Chronic Adrenal Fatigue
- Ayurvedic Cure for Influenza