CAUSES AND SYMPTOMS
The female mosquito bites the malarial patient. The male mosquito does not contain the parasite which causes malaria. If the blood of an infected person is transfused into the body of a healthy person, or if syringes and needles are used commonly, malaria can spread since malaria is a condition of the blood. The most common symptoms of malaria are:-
- The first symptom is a high fever. The fever is accompanied by chills which become more at nighttime.
- A day or two before the actual fever, the patient may feel headache, pain in the body and limbs.
A severe malaria attack has three stages.
- THE COLD STAGE – It begins with a feeling of intense chill even if the weather is very hot and also the temp keeps rising in spite of the chill.
- THE HOT STAGE – It comes on as the temp of the body rises. It begins with hot flushes which increase till the body starts feeling burning hot. Headache, dizziness, delirium and pain throughout the body may also be felt by the patient.
- THE SWEATING STAGE – This stage begins when the fever has reached its highest point. It begins with very high sweating and the body temp gradually reduces. With the temp, the dizziness, headache and pain also reduce.
TYPES OF MALARIA: Depending upon the parasite which causes malaria, it can be of three types.
- QUARTAN FEVER – In this there is an intermission of two days before the next attack.
- TERTIAN FEVER – In this fever, the attack occurs on alternate days.
- MALIGNANT TERTIAN MALARIA – This is tertian fever in severe form.
MEDICINES AND PRESCRIPTIONS
In case of remittent fever, the one which continues without decreasing, the following ayurvedic drugs are recommended.
|Vishmushtyadi Vati,Talam Bhasma,|
|240mg of each of Vishmushtyadi Vati, Talam Bhasma and Karanjadi Vati to be taken with juice of tulsi leaves thrice daily.|
|500mg of Sarjika, 2gm of Sudarshana Churna and 240mg of Sphatika to be taken with warm water twice daily.|
|500mg of Karanja Churna, 120mg of Jwarankusha and 240mg of Tala Bhasma to be taken with juice of tulsi leaves thrice daily.|
These medicines are for the first attacks of malaria.
|Shuddha Sphatika(alum),Mahajwaarankusha Rasa||240mg of Shuddha Sphatika(alum) and 120mg of Mahajwaarankusha Rasa to be taken with juice of tulsi leaves twice daily.|
|Sheetamani Rasa||240mg to be taken twice daily with honey|
The following medicines are given when the attacks are intermittent.
|Tuvrimallayoga||60mg to be taken twice daily.|
|Flesh of Karanja,Shuddha Sphatika,|
|120mg of each of Flesh of Karanja, Shuddha Sphatika and Godanti Bhasma should be made into six pills and taken at an interval of two hours.|
Apart from the above mentioned ayurvedic medicines there are also many potent herbs which are also useful for the treatment of malaria.
|Ayurvedic Name||Common English||Benefits|
|Afsanthin||Wormwood||Wormwood is taken to reduce the symptoms of malarial fevers on a daily basis. It should not be taken during pregnancy.|
|Amla or Amlaki||Indian Gooseberry||Amla is the richest source of vitamin C and so it helps to replenish the loss of this vitamin through the symptoms of malaria.|
|Neem||Margosa Tree||The neem tree contains gedunin, which very effective for the traditional cure of malaria, i.e. quinine.|
|Shikakai||Acacia||An infusion of the leaves of the shikakai tree is useful in reducing the fevers caused due to malaria.|
Prevention from mosquito bites is very essential as this is the main cause of malaria. There should not be stagnant pools of water in the surroundings or they should be sprayed over with oil.
13 Home Remedies for Alleviating Symptoms of Malaria
DIET AND OTHER REGIMEN
- Solid foods should be replaced by a liquid diet. Green vegetables and fruits should be a major part of the diet and must be included in the post recovery stage.
Spicy and fatty foods should be avoided. Cod foods in the diet such as cucumber, orange, watermelons, banana, papaya etc. should also be avoided.
Related to your query:
- Ayurvedic Cure for Meningitis
- Ayurvedic Cure for Measles