CAUSES AND SYMPTOMS
There are different types of childbirth fever and has different grades of severity. After the birth of the child the mother is liable for several reasons i.e. to contract any infectious disease to which she may be exposed. She becomes very weak by the strain through which she has passed. It is noticed that due to the loss of a great quantity of blood, she becomes very weak. In the second place, the injuries which occur during childbirth produce raw surfaces in the genital tract and from here absorption occurs very easily.
On the second or third day after labor, the symptoms of puerperal fever appear. The mother feels general discomfort and feverishness, rise of temperature, quickening of the pulse, and pain in the lumbar region. Inflammation of the pelvic region is also seen in some cases. The fever may rise further and if the infection is not controlled, peritonitis may be caused and sometimes this can even lead to a most serious condition known as septicaemia or general blood poisoning. In some cases, the symptoms may not be checked and death may occur because of the involvement of the heart.
AYURVEDIC MEDICINES AND PRESCRIPTIONS
The following medicines and prescriptions are prescribed for the childbirth fever.
- Saubhagya Vati: 240 ml to be taken twice during the day.
- Dashmularishta: 20 ml should be mixed with equal quantity of water and has to be taken after saubhagya vati.
- Prataplankeshwar Rasa, Shuddha Tankan, Sanjivani: 240 mg of Prataplankeshwar, and 120 mg each of Sanjivani and Shuddha Tankan should be taken with juice of ginger and honey thrice daily. If fever is very high, Sanjivani should be substituted by Sri Jaimangal Rasa.
- Devadarbadi Quath: 58 mg to be taken in one dose in the morning.
- Putpakwavisham-jwarantaka Lauha and Vasantmalati: 20 ml each should be given thrice daily if fever continues for some days in spite of medication.
DIET AND OTHER REGIMEN
The following diet is beneficial for the mother suffering from this fever.
- She must be given nutritious foods that can be easily digested.
- Milk and sugar should be the main part of her diet.
- Astringent and sour things should not be given to her.
- It is very important to maintain clean and healthy surroundings.
- She should take complete rest.
- With a weak solution of potassium permanganate her genitals must be douched to keep them clean.