According to Ayurveda, tinnitus is a symptom of prana vayu disturbance. Prana vayu is a subdosha of vata. This resides in the head and is responsible for all higher cerebral functions.
CAUSES AND SYMPTOMS
There are several reasons for the cause of this disease. The reasons are as follows
- Lack of proper sleep
- Continuous talking
- Excess fasting and too much exercise
- When the nerves get tired due to increased worries
- Sudden shock or fear or grief
- Excess bitter substances like medicines or vegetables
- Excess cereals in the food which are also difficult to digest
- Over indulgence in sex results in depletion of dhatus ( minerals ) and this is also a reason for the cause of tinnitus
Some symptoms of tinnitus are headache, vertigo and memory loss.
MEDICINES AND PRESCRIPTINS
Here is a list of ayurvedic preparations which are beneficial in the treatment of tinnitus.
- Preparations of ashwagandha can be used. 1-2 tablets of ashwagandha can be taken along with a cup of warm milk at bed time. This results in sound sleep which reduces vata dosha. Also Ashwagandharishta can be taken. 15 ml should be mixed with equal water and taken after dinner.
- Sarasvati Churna in the dose of quarter teaspoon two times daily after meals can be taken.
- Yogaraj Guggul reduces inflammation in the ear. 200 mg should be taken two or three times in a day after food.
- Bilva Tailum, Amrut Bindu and Kshar Tailum can be used as ear drops. 2 drops of these oils can dropped in the ear at bed time and early morning.
- Garlic oil is also considered to be very beneficial for this disease. 3 drops of garlic oil can be put into the ear at night before going to bed.
DIET AND REGIMEN
Since the cause for this disease is vata dosha, vata balancing food plan is recommended.
- Hot cereals such as cream of wheat or rice should be taken in breakfast. Also anything that is warm, milky and sweet can be taken in breakfast.
- Butter and fat should be taken in food.
- Dry fruits and bitter tasting foods should be avoided.
- Sweet and sour foods should be considered.
- The spices which are useful are cinnamon, ginger, cumin, cloves, cardamom.
- The consumption of nicotine, cocaine or caffeine should be avoided.
- Hair oil should be used daily.
- The body should be massaged with sesame oil and hot water bath should be taken after that.
- One should not walk or travel in excess cold climate.
- Watching excess television and excess use of computers should be avoided.
- One should not sleep near an electrical outlet.
- Too much exposure to loud noise, music speakers and things which involve sounds with high frequency should be avoided.
- Anything that helps to increase blood circulation is beneficial.