Toothache is also known as DANTSHOOL in ayurveda. The word toothache refers to the pain around the jaws or the teeth. Toothache is developed by the jaw or the tooth problems in most of the cases. This may include gum diseases, cracked tooth, an exposed tooth root, dental cavity, spasm of the muscles used for chewing etc.
CAUSES AND SYMPTOMS
There can be many causes for the toothache and some important are mentioned below:-
- DENTAL CAVITIES
- GUM DISEASES
- TOOTH ROOT SENSITIVITY
The symptoms may vary but jaw pain and tooth pain is very common. If the area of swelling inside the mouth increases, the pain also increases simultaneously. The pain may even reach up to jaws, ears or cheek. Other signs and symptoms are:-
- Pain while chewing or sometimes without it.
- Trauma or injury to the area.
- Discharge or bleeding around the tooth or gums.
- Cold and hot sensitivity.
AYURVEDIC MEDICINES AND PRESCRIPTIONS
Ayurvedic treatment for Toothache (Dantshool)
Many herbal formulae are very useful for the toothache. They are either disinfectant or known to cure the bad odor from the mouth.
|Indian herbs||Latin name||Common name||Action|
|Neemba||Azadirachta indica||Margosa tree||Well known for its disinfectant property.|
|Haridra||Curcuma longa||The turmeric||Used for healing any type of the wound and is very good for bleeding gums also.|
|Babool||Acacia arabica||Indian Gum||Act as a teeth healer and has been used since long time.|
|Maricha||Piper nigrum||Black pepper||It kills the bacteria and also check for any microorganism in the teeth.|
|Ashoka||Saraca indica||Asoka Tree||The decoction of the bark is used for gargle which is very helpful.|
- Triphala Churna – 10 grams of the powder is soaked in a glass full of hot water. When the solution becomes lukewarm gargling is done with it. With regular use, it not only reduces the pain but further decay of teeth is also prevented.
- Kanchanara Guggul – 2 pills twice a day can be taken and this gives relief from inflammation.
- Regular use of ‘Gum tone’ tooth powder prevents dental problems.
- Clove oil is very beneficial for toothache. If two or three drops of this is applied to the pain, it gives great relief from the pain.
- lrimedadi Taila should be applied externally on the affected teeth.
PREVENTION OF TOOTHACHE
- Teeth should be brushed after every meal and also just before going to bed.
- Use of herbal toothpaste which contains either neem or babool is beneficial.
- Tongue should always be cleaned after brushing the teeth.
- Dental checkup should be done regularly.
- Herbal mouthwash should be used regularly. This protects teeth from getting decayed and checks the gum infections.
- Tobacco in any form should be avoided.
- Sugar consumption should be reduced.
DIET AND OTHER REGIMEN
- Sticky substances should be avoided.
- Vitamin C strengthens the gums, so fruits like guavas, pomegranate, orange and other citrus fruits must be taken more as these are high in vitamin c.
- Cold drinks and chilled items like ice creams must be avoided.