CAUSES AND SYMPTOMS
The first signs are fatigue, a sore throat and slight feverishness. The puffiness of the cheeks which is caused due to the swelling of the parotid glands is the most common symptom. The earlobes also may get swelled, which makes the whole face look enlarged. The patient may feel pain in the cheeks, which increases when chewing or swallowing food. A person with mumps feels weak and gets tired very easily. If the disease attacks adults, swelling of testicles in males may be noticed and swelling of the ovaries in females.
MEDICINES AND PRESCRIPTIONS
The following herbs are prescribed for the effective treatment of mumps.
|Ayurvedic Name||English Name||Benefits|
|Sunthi||Ginger||Ginger is the most widely used for mumps. A dry paste of ginger is applied over the affected regions. When the paste dries off, there is tremendous relief obtained from the pain of the mumps.|
|Neem||Margosa||Neem is also very effective in the treatment of mumps. A paste of the neem leaves is applied over the affected parts. Turmeric can also be mixed in the paste for better results.|
|Methi||Fenugreek||Fenugreek seeds are mixed in an equal proportion with asparagus seeds. This provides relief from mumps swellings.|
|Shatavari||Asparagus||Seeds of asparagus are ground with seeds of fenugreek. This paste is then applied on the affected parts to obtain relief from the swelling.|
|Harad or Haritaki||Chebulic Myroblan||Haritaki is one of the most effective Ayurvedic remedies for mumps. A paste of this herb is applied locally over the affected regions.|
|Lavanga||Clove||The clove oil must be mixed with olive oil and rubbed from the inside of the cheeks. This provides relief from the pain.|
|Peepal||Peepal||The peepal is another beneficial remedy. The peepal leaves are mixed with ghee, warmed over a fire and then the paste is applied over the affected parts to get relief.|
Apart from the herbs mentioned above, the following ayurvedic medicines are prescribed for the treatment of mumps.
|Ashwakanchuki||120-240mg to be taken at night with warm water.
|10mg of Mrigshringa Bhasma and 120mg of Sanjivani to be taken with ginger juice or warm water four times a day.
DIET AND OTHER REGIMEN
The diet recommended for mumps is a Pitta pacifying diet.
- Solid foods must be avoided as they are hard to chew and causes pain. Soft liquid foods are recommended. Rice water is considered to be very good for this condition.
- Acidic foods should be avoided. Oily and pungent foods must be strictly avoided. Spices like ginger, garlic are good for mumps.
- Hot fomentation over the swollen glands should not be done.
- The neck must not be exposed to cold winds and it should always be kept covered with a scarf or a shawl. The person should also not be allowed to get wet much.
- This is an extremely infectious disease and hence physical contact with the patient must be avoided.