Tuberculosis is caused by tiny germs called Mycobacterium tuberculosis and Tubercle bacillus. The germ enters the body through nose, mouth or the windpipe and settles downs in the lungs, multiplying at a rapid speed.
Tubercle bacillus produces raised spots called tubercles inside the lungs. These spots become suppurate as the disease advances.
While tuberculosis may affect any part of the body, they generally affect the lungs, bones, membranes of the brain (leading to meningitis), intestine and glands (scrofula).
Tuberculosis of Lungs (pulmonary tuberculosis or phthisis) is the most common type of tuberculosis.
Causes of Tuberculosis
TB may be caused when a person pricks himself with anything infested with the germ or through inhalation of dust particles mixed with the microbes.
Mineral starvation of the body tissues is cited as the primary cause of tuberculosis.Supressing of malaria, cold and catarrh also lead to tuberculosis.But the main cause of tuberculosis is a weakened constitution and loss of body resistance.
Lower resistance may be caused by any or all of the following factors:
- Long period of ill health
- Heredity factor
- Unhealthy environment
- Excessive use of intoxicants
- Overindulgence in sex
- Metabolic diseases like diabetes
Symptoms of Tuberculosis
Symptoms of tuberculosis depend upon the body part affected by the microbe.
Symptoms of Pulmonary tuberculosis
- Persistent cough and hoarseness
- Discharge of blood in the phlegm
- Trouble in breathing
- Chest pain indicating the involvement of pleura
Symptoms of tuberculosis of intestines
- Distension of the stomach
- Impairment of digestion
- Loss of appetite and appearance of digestive disorders
- Constipation: if small intestine is infected
- Diahorrea: if large intestine is infected.
- Pain in shoulders
- Loss of vigor, emaciation and rapid weight loss
- Body becomes pale
- High body temperature- especially in the evening
Natural cures for tuberculosis
The treatment must start with the isolation of the patient or by removing him to sanatorium, if it has been detected in advanced stage.
Precribed natural cures:
- Non pasteurized Milk: TB is generally associated with depletion of natural Calcium in the body. Calcium is the main therapeutic agent needed for treatment of TB and raw milk is the richest source of organic calcium.
- Custard apple + seedless raisins: The pulp of one custard apple mixed with 15 seedless raisins should be slowly boiled in water till most of the water has evaporated. The leftovers should be mixed with one tea spoon of powdered sugar candy and pinch of cardamom and cinnamon. 2 teaspoons of this concoction taken thrice a day helps rejuvenate the body is regarded as one of the most effective natural cures for tuberculosis.Alternatively, a readymade ayurvedic concoction of custard apple named sitaphalasava is prescribed.
- Drumstick leaves: Soup prepared by boiling drumstick leaves taken with little salt, pepper and lime juice increases the body resistance against TB infection.
- Garlic: Twenty grains of garlic with six ounces of milk and two pounds water boiled till it reduces to a quarter of the original quantity, given in two doses during the day is used widely in Ayurveda as a natural remedy for TB.
- Indian gooseberry: 1 tablespoon of Indian gooseberry juice with honey, taken in the morning promotes vitality and increases body resistance to fight TB germs.
- Pineapple: Aids in dissolving mucus and is effective in treatment of tuberculosis.
- Green Banana: Juice of green banana is used by many naturopaths in curing TB.
- Dried fruits: particularly dried grapes and almond are used to vitalize the body for curing TB.
- Orange Juice: Orange juice with a pinch of salt alleviates expectoration and protects the body from further infections.
- Mint: One tea spoon fresh juice of mint with equal amount of honey, half tea spoon amount of pure malt vinegar mixed in half a glass of carrot juice helps develop body resistance against tubercle bacillus.
Herbs for tuberculosis treatment
- Ash Gourd: Pulp of the fruit is boiled while constantly adding sugar syrup till it hardens into a delicous sweet.Used to cure general debility and o increase weight in tuberculosis.
- Celery (Scientific name: Apium graveolens, Indian name: Ajwain ka patta or Ajmod): Celery has an antispasmodic property which is used specially for curing pulmonary TB
- Linseed: 1 table spoon of powdered linseed soaked overnight in a glass of water served in the morning with lime juice is used to counter the ill effects of TB
- Marigold: Used for treatment of scrofula or the TB of glands
- Winter Cherry: Decoction made of root of winter cherry, honey and long pepper is used to treat pulmonary TB and scrofula. long term use is not recommended as the root has narcotic properties.
Plenty of milk, pulses especially black gram, butter, eggs, gourds of various varieties, beetroot, spinach,onion, raw green vegetables, wholemeal bread and fruits.
Food to be avoided
- White bread, white sugar
- Refined cereals
- Curd, buttermilk
- Ripe banana & Guava
- Food with preservatives
- Tea, Coffee and alcohol
- Condiments like pickles, sauces
- All devitalizing foods
- Take regular sunbath. Sunlight is extremely important as TB germs are highly susceptible to direct sunlight.
- Do deep breathing and relaxation exercises
- Live in fresh, airy and clean environment
- Hot epsom slat bath twice a week helps the healing process
- Sexual intercourse should be avoided if it aggravates condition.
- Hard physical or mental labor