Apart from the ayurvedic medicines and the herbs used for the treatment of asthma, there are several home remedies which can be applied to get relief from asthma.
- A tea made of ginger and a few cloves of garlic keeps the asthma under control. It should be taken twice for better relief.
- Chyawanprash is the best thing one can take to increase the immunity. It also helps in asthma by providing nourishment to the lungs and making them healthier.
- A tea spoon of fresh ginger juice should be mixed with a cup of fenugreek decoction and honey, this act as a very good expectorant in cases of asthma. This is one of the best home remedies for asthma.
- A very potent home remedy for asthma is taking milk with few cloves of garlic boiled in it.
- The roots of the bitter gourd plant are used to make a paste mixed with an equal amount of honey and juice of the Tulsi leaves. This acts as an exceptional medicine for this disease.
- Amla mixed with honey is a very good medicine for asthma. It must be taken every morning.
- Figs are also very helpful in curing asthma. Figs should be soaked in water over night and eaten in the morning. This helps in removing the phlegm and provides relief.
- One tea spoon of honey and a pinch of black pepper is mixed in half a cup of onion juice gives immediate relief from congestion and improves shortness of breaths.
- Mustard oil is mixed with little camphor and massaged on the chest. This helps in breathing and loosens up the phlegm.
- A steam of eucalyptus or lavender essential oils is inhaled just during an attack and after the attack to ease panic and help open airways.
- One tea spoon of cinnamon powder is mixed with honey and taken at night before going to bed. This prevents the attack of asthma at night.
- Inhaling the steam of ajwain boiled in water gives relief during asthma.
DIET AND OTHER REGIMEN
A proper diet is very important to keep a check on asthma.
- Foods which are difficult to digest must be avoided. Also spicy, oily and fried foods should be avoided.
- Avoid curds and buttermilk as they take long to digest and fruits like banana, guava.
- Light food should be taken at night and sour foods should be totally avoided as they tend to worsen the condition.
- Alcohol and smoking is very harmful during this condition. One should not be exposed to cold climatic conditions and heavy exercise is not advisable.
- The surroundings should be clean and completely free from dust and allergens which trigger asthma. Also one should stay away from air fresheners, perfumes, deodorants etc.