In Ayurveda, Gastritis is known as Urdhavaga Amlapitta. In gastritis, the mucus lining of the stomach gets inflamed. It is a condition which is very troublesome and if left untreated, it may give rise to many complications stomach ulcers which may also be fatal.
CAUSES AND SYMPTOMS
There are numerous causes that may result in gastritis.
- The most common and frequent cause of gastritis is unhealthy eating habit. Irregular and over eating and excessive consumption of alcohol give rise to gastritis. Also eating a lot of spicy and greasy foods and improperly cooked foods leads to gastritis.
- Also gastritis may be caused due to intake of alkali or acids.
- Toxins that are produced due to the infections and gout also give rise to gastritis. Drugs such as aspirin also lead to gastritis.
- Stress, worry and anxiety also lead to gastritis.
According to ayurveda, the gastric disorder is due to the vitiation of the pitta.
There are many symptoms which can be noticed and one should take immediate action. Some of the signs or symptoms of gastritis are:-
Ø There is a loss of appetite, nausea, sickness and headache.
Ø There is discomfort in the stomach region and also pain is noticed in the same region which may sometimes lead to vomiting.
Ø Rarely the disease may also lead to gastro intestinal bleeding, blood in vomiting and also in stool.
MEDICINES AND PRESCRIPTIONS
1. SUKUMARA GHRITA – The ghee preparations are recommended for the treatment of gastritis. Sukumara ghrita is very beneficial and is to be taken in the morning mixed with a cup of milk. It helps in improving the digestive powers within a few days.
2. DHATRI LAUHA – It should be mixed with amla juice and given two times in a day.
3. AVIPATTIKARA CHURNA – This is yet another medicine for the problem of gastritis. One tea spoon full should be taken at night before going to bed.
4. AMLA CHURNA – This is a powder of dried amla and is considered to be very beneficial for this disease. One tea spoon full of this may be taken three or four times a day.
OTHER NATURAL REMEDIES PRESCRIBED BY AYURVEDA
Ø Amla, Ginger and Licorice are three things which are highly beneficial for gastritis. These can be taken in any form to get relief from gastritis.
Ø Lemon juice is also considered to be a good and effective home remedy for gastritis.
Ø Taking ajwain with a little rock salt is also a very effective remedy for this ailment.
DIET AND OTHER REGIMEN
A proper diet is very important in this condition. The most important thing that should be taken care of is that the diet should not include any such thing which aggravates the pitta. All food items which are likely to aggravate pitta must be strictly avoided.
- Spicy and fried foods, chillies and sour foods should be avoided. Foods that increase the stomach acids should also be reduced or avoided.
- Fresh fruits and vegetables should form the main part of the diet as these reduce the inflammation in the lining of the stomach. Chilled milk is also advised for this condition.
- Bitter gourd, pumpkin, grapes, melons, pomegranate and cucumber are good food items for this condition. Plenty of water should be taken.
- Excess mental and physical work should not be under taken. Also one should stay away from anxiety and anger. Morning walk is recommended.