In Ayurveda, measles is known as Romantika. It is an acute, infectious disease especially seen among children. This is a respiratory disease and is extremely contagious like chickenpox.
CAUSES AND SYMPTOMS
According to ayurveda, measles is the result of vitiation of both Kapha and Pitta. An acute catarrh, sneezing, a watery discharge from the nose and sometimes bleeding from the nose is also seen in the beginning. The voice becomes hoarse and there is dry cough. The temperature rises and the pulse is rapid. Thirst, headache and restlessness are also noticed. The characteristic rash of the measles appears as pink or red pin-like rashes on the body. The rashes appear mostly on the cheeks, but can spread to the chest, back, hands and legs. Sometimes the rashes also appear in` the mouth and throat. The face gets swollen.
MEDICINES AND PRESCRIPTIONS
The following medicines should be administered before the rashes appear.
|120mg each of Kasturi Bhairava, Swarnamakshika Bhasma, Shringa Bhasma and 240mg of Saubhagya Vati with the juice of bitter gourd and honey should be taken four times daily.
Apart from the above medicines, there are many herbs that are prescribed by ayurveda for the treatment of measles.
|Ayurvedic Name||Common English Name||Benefits|
|Babuna||Chamomile||Chamomile is taken in the form of herbal tea and has a soothing effect on the body. It helps to cure the uneasiness that the patient suffers during the onset of the measles.|
|Bergamot||Wild Bergamot||It helps in the quick healing of the measles.|
|Neem||Neem||The neem leaves are antiviral, so they can prevent further infections. Neem leaves can also reduce infections from spreading in other members of the house.|
|Neembu||Lemon||Lemon is a good source of vitamin C. Lemon juice helps in the toning of the skin.|
|Jyeshthamadha||Licorice||This is also a very good remedy for all skin ailments. It quickens the healing process in measles and tones the skin.|
|Pudina||Mint||Pudina is made into a paste and applied directly to the rash.|
|Khus||Indian grass||Khus gives a cooling effect on the skin. It is also an anti-pyretic, i.e. it can reduce fever which may be there due to measles.|
|Sunthi||Ginger||Sunthi is an anti-inflammatory agent and reduces the onset of fevers.|
|Chandana||Sandalwood||Chandana provides great relief on itchy rashes and keeps the skin protected. It is also antiviral which prevent further infections.|
- When it is suspected that the disease is measles, the very first thing that should be done is that the patient should be covered with warm clothes.
- Powdered licorice root may be given with honey.
- Hot water and other liquids should be given so that rashes appear.
DIET AND OTHER REGIMEN
- A normal diet may be given to the patient but foods which are hard to digest, substances which contain fat and constipation causing foods must be avoided.
- Measles causes a lot of dehydration within the body. Hence lots of fresh fruits, especially citrus fruits like oranges, grapes, cantaloupes, etc. which are very high in water content should be included in the diet.
- Foods like parsley make the healing process fast. They make the blisters and rashes degenerate and disappear faster.