In Ayurveda, meningitis is known as Mastishka Shoth. Meningitis is characterized by inflammation of membranes surrounding the brain and sometimes of the spinal cord. It may occur on its own or may be the result of disease as tuberculosis.
CAUSES AND SYMPTOMS
The symptoms of meningitis are very difficult to recognize at its early stage.
- Headache, vomiting and shivering appears first. This is followed by stiffness of the neck.
- The patient may suffer from insomnia, irritability and even delirium. His body becomes tender to touch.
- Sometimes red spots are also seen on the patients’ skin. This is called SPOTTED FEVER. If it is unchecked, the heart may fail within a week and result in death.
MEDICINES AND PRESCRIPTIONS
The following medicines may be taken in meningitis:
Siddha Makaradhwaja; Sauhhagya Vati – 240 mg of Sauhhagya Vati and 120 mg of Siddha Makaradhwaja may be taken two times daily with fresh ginger juice.
Krishna Chaturmukha, KasturiBhairava and Vata Chintamani – 120 mg each of Vata Chintamani, Kasturi Bhairava and Krishana Chaturmukha should be taken three times in a day.
Mahavishagarbha Taila – This should be used for massaging the back.
- The main home remedies for the treatment of meningitis are lemonade, orange juice and other acidic drinks.
- One cup of soya bean milk mixed with 1table spoon of honey should be taken every night for three or four months.
DIET AND OTHER REGIMEN
- When the patient is in a conscious state, a liquid diet may be given orally.
- Physiotherapy is also recommended if there is weakness in any part of the body.